It has been a quiet week for the web industry. The Edge team published their 2021 retrospective, while WebKit released Safari Technology Preview 138. And the software updates and releases include Deno 1.18, Node v17.4.0, and more.
Looking back at Microsoft Edge for developers in 2021
The Microsoft Edge team published their own retrospective article, covering the advancement their browser made in 2021. Here are the main topics covered:
- contributions to the Web Platform with new APIs, such as CSS Modules, the EyeDropper API, Delegated Ink, the Virtual Keyboard API, and the HapticsDevice API
- the stable version of Edge became available on Linux
- improved DevTools and better integration with VSCode
- new features for PWAs: URL handling, Protocol handling, and Window Controls Overlay
If you are interested in more details, be sure to check out the article below:
Safari Technology Preview 138 is out and it brings some interesting features
- New tools for Alignment properties
- Web Inspector option to group lists of CSS variables
- support for the CSS
- support for CSS Containment
For more details you should check out the official release notes:
Software updates and releases
- Capacitor 3.4.0 - build cross-platform Native Progressive Web Apps for iOS, Android, and the Web
- react-markdown 8.0.0 - Markdown component for React
- Rockpack 2.0.0 - a simple solution for creating React Application
Wrapping things up
That's about all I have for this issue. If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it. You can share the link to this issue on social media, and follow me on Twitter. Each one of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!