The Chrome team reports on the Advanced Web Apps Fund. Vivaldi 5.5 for Android users is now available. The software updates section includes Cypress v10.10.0, Jest v29.2.0, and more. And we wrap everything with a selection of icons, stock pictures, and utilities to generate SVG assets.
Advanced Web Apps Fund - Oct 2022 update
The Chrome team announced the Advanced Web Apps Fund earlier this year. This initiative aims to support projects that help push the web platform further.
They have just published an update, stating that over $100K has been distributed among 11 projects. The application process is still open though, so we'll be expecting more info in the future.
Android users can now upgrade their Vivaldi browser to version 5.5, catching up to their desktop alternates. The onboarding flow has been reworked, you can improve performance by automatically closing inactive tabs, and it includes lots of smaller improvements.
- Vivaldi on Android introduces its new welcome flow and auto-closing of inactive tabs for better performance
Software updates and releases
- Bridgetown 1.2 - A next-generation, progressive site generator & fullstack framework, powered by Ruby
- Cypress v10.10.0 - Fast, easy, and reliable testing for anything that runs in a browser
- Faker v7.6.0 - Generate massive amounts of fake data in the browser and node.js
- Node v16.18.0 (LTS) / Node v18.11.0 (Current) -
- Qwik v0.11.0 - The HTML-first framework. Instant apps of any size with ~ 1kb JS
- Rollup v3.1.0 - Next-generation ES module bundler
- Volar 1.0 - The official IDE/TS tooling support for Vue
Front End Resources
- Haikei App - Generate unique SVG design assets
- Health icons - Free, open source health icons
- Iconbay - Fun and modern icons for your projects and exploration
- Iconsax - the official icons of the Vuesax framework
- Skware icons - Pixelate any project you're working on in seconds
- WOCinTech Stock Photos - Stock pictures of women of color and non-binary people of color
There's more where that came from. Explore the rest of the Front End Resource collection.
Wrapping things up
Ukraine is still suffering from the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it:
- 📢 share the link to this issue on social media
- ❤️ follow this newsletter on Twitter
- ☕ buy me a coffee
Each of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
That's all I have for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!