Firefox 86 is out, bringing over Total Cookie Protection (and a special logo for the Nightly edition). CSSWG accepted the
@container queries proposal into the CSS specification process. Smashing Magazine offers awesome advice on useful DevTools tips and shortcuts. Software Updates include Lighthouse v7.2.0, Node February 2021 Security Releases, and TypeScript 4.2.
Fleshing out @container queries with single-axis containment
@container queries are one step closer to becoming reality. The CSS Working Group has accepted the proposal by Miriam Suzanne into the CSS specification process.
Useful DevTools Tips And Shortcuts
Developer Tools are your best friend when crafting code. This Smashing Magazine article puts together a treasure of information that you will find extremely useful.
The Firefox 86 update went live last week. By far, the most important feature is the implementation of State Partitioning (or Total Cookie Protection).
"Our new feature, Total Cookie Protection, works by maintaining a separate “cookie jar” for each website you visit. Any time a website, or third-party content embedded in a website, deposits a cookie in your browser, that cookie is confined to the cookie jar assigned to that website, such that it is not allowed to be shared with any other website."
More details about this update, as well as the rest of the release notes are available in the following articles:
- A Fabulous February Firefox — 86!
- Firefox 86 for developers
- Introducing State Partitioning
- Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection
On a lighter side, there seems to be a meme trend affectionately called "fox gate" playing on the (not so) recent rebranding. So the team responded by re-enabling a special version of their logo for Firefox Nightly. Enjoy!
Safari Technology Preview 121 is out now, adding support for
aspect-ratio on grid items and a lot of other updates.
Software updates and Releases
- Critical v3.0.0 - Extract & Inline Critical-path CSS in HTML pages
- Lighthouse v7.2.0 - automated auditing, performance metrics, and best practices for the web
- Neutralino v1.8.0 - portable and lightweight cross platform application development framework
- Puppeteer v8.0.0 - headless Chrome Node.js API
- SCEditor - A lightweight HTML and BBCode WYSIWYG editor
Wrapping things up
That's all I have prepared for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, and I will see you next time!