The State of CSS 2022 Survey Results are now available. In browser news, we got many updates from the smaller browser vendors. Edge released version 108. Polypane bumped up to version 12. And Vivaldi released version 5.6 for desktop users.
On the release radar, we got Ember 4.9, Rome 11, Vite 4.0, and more. And the resources for this issue include a large set of design assets and other useful utilities.
The State of CSS 2022 Survey Results
The 2022 edition of the State of CSS survey ran between October 1st and November 1st. One month later we got the results neatly arranged in a nice report. Flexbox gap is the most adopted feature this year, Subgrid was the most commented-on feature, Bootstrap is still used by 80% of respondents, while Tailwind CSS climbs to second place with 46%.
New entries for the 2022 Roundup of Coding Advent Calendars
Coding Advent calendars are great sources of useful information and I have been rounding them up for you over the last few years. I have updated this year's list with more entries, so be sure to check it up.
Edge 108 brings "more reliable web defense", Graph APIs for Cloud Site List Management, and fixes for various bugs and performance issues.
Polypane 12 brings many updates, such as the long-requested Command bar. You can add a timer to screenshots, as well as white space for comments and annotations. And everything runs now on Chromium 108.
Vivaldi makes it easier for people to migrate from Twitter to Mastodon by integrating the client into the browser itself, along with the ability to pin tab groups and other UI improvements.
Software updates and releases
- D3.js v7.7.0 - Bring data to life with SVG, Canvas, and HTML.
- Mongoose 6.8.0 - MongoDB object modeling designed to work in an asynchronous environment.
- react-tooltip 5.0.0 - React tooltip component
- Rollup v3.7.0 - Next-generation ES module bundler
- Storybook v7.0.0-beta.0 - A frontend workshop for building UI components and pages in isolation
- Vite 4.0 - Next generation frontend tooling.
- xv v2.0.0 - zero-config test runner for simple projects
Front End Resources
- Accessible color palette generator - Beautiful color combinations your whole audience can appreciate
- Codeimg.io - Create and share beautiful images of your source code.
- Studio Yorktown Color Town Hall - A vibrant library of color palettes
- Vivid Gradient Generator Tool - Create gradients without a gray zone in the middle
- We Are Heroes Digital Resources - A selection of design resources to take your designs to the next level
There's more where that came from. Explore the rest of the Front End Resource collection.
Wrapping things up
This will be the last issue of the newsletter for this year. I am taking a break over the winter holidays to be able to spend more time with my family. I also plan to work some more on the Resources section of the website, to make it easier to find something useful.
Ukraine is still suffering from the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it:
- 📢 share the link to this issue on social media
- ❤️ follow this newsletter on Twitter
- ☕ buy me a coffee
Each of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
That's all I have for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!